Our compassionate therapeutic companions provide day-to-day support to clients recovering from substance misuse or dealing with difficult mental health symptoms such as severe anxiety or PTSD. We realize how dealing with behavioral health issues can make everyday chores difficult. Our therapeutic companions are here to help you reclaim the confidence and freedom to live life without worrying about these limits, whether you’re struggling to go to work or a social event, or you’re having problems reconciling day-to-day activities with clinical/therapy demands.
What is a Therapeutic Companion?
If you have ever wished that you had a helping hand or compassionate ear when your behavioral health interferes with your daily life, you have felt the void that a therapeutic recovery companion can fill. These professionals provide intensive support on a long- or short-term basis and accompany you throughout your day. Also called therapeutic recovery companions or therapeutic coaches, therapeutic companions offer a sense of safety and stability and to help you to work through difficulties when tasks become overwhelming.
Therapeutic companions come from a variety of backgrounds, including clinical or medical professions, residential or outpatient recovery settings or social services arenas. Their skills and qualifications often include medication management, coaching, rehabilitation experience, or personal assisting.
What a Therapeutic Companion is Not
Companions, unlike full-time caregivers, do not control your behavior or dictate your schedule; instead, they offer support and advise as you learn to manage day-to-day tasks and accept full responsibility for your actions. Their purpose is to assist you in gaining independence at a speed that suits you.
Is a Therapeutic Companion Right for Me?
If your mental or behavioral health symptoms are limiting your everyday life, you may benefit from the assistance of a sober companion or therapeutic coach. Companions who are sober are especially beneficial to individuals who are:
- Transitioning out of residential treatment
- Unable to participate in a residential program due to work or personal responsibilities
- Temporarily traveling and away from their usual support system
- In an unstable stage of life like a career shift or location change
- Attending an event with known triggers
- Participating in other treatment during the day (e.g., intensive outpatient programming, therapy, etc.) but could benefit from more support at other times of day
Therapeutic Companions at The Lighthouse
Our therapeutic recovery companions are trained to give intense support to a variety of people at The Lighthouse. Our sober companions can also be used on an ad hoc basis, such as for out-of-town work travel or attending a family function with a client who is concerned about known triggers. (e.g., alcohol at a wedding), or monitoring someone in a hotel until a residential bed in a facility becomes available.
Our sober companions are also ready to assist clients with safe transportation. We arrange travel logistics, and the sober companion walks with the individual through potentially stressful moments (such as going to treatment clinics), assuring their safe arrival at their destination.
Therapeutic companions are:
- Available nationally and internationally in a timely manner
- Knowledgeable professionals capable of rapidly developing rapport even in the most challenging of circumstances
- Supported by an administrative infrastructure that allows for smooth logistical planning, service coordination, and client safety
- Trained and supervised closely by clinical supervisors
- Collaborative with multidisciplinary teams that may include advisors, lawyers, clinical professionals, family members, and/or employers
- Matched to a range of clinical needs, personality profiles, and interests
- Skilled at navigating high-risk situations and troubleshooting client crises
- Able to fulfill short-term (1–2 days) and long-term (weeks or months) assignments
Find a Therapeutic Companion Today
If you or your loved one might be in need of a sober companion, call us today at +1 (203) 664-8246 to get started.